Class Registration - Classes fill fast! Don't wait to register.
Steps for those under 18 to get a Minnesota Drivers License:
Two parts: Classroom instruction ($95) & Behind the Wheel instruction ($300).
1. Complete 30 hours of classroom instruction. You cannot pay at class - you MUST be registered before class starts, the instructor is not authorized to accept payment at class.
New State Requirements
Effective January 1, 2015, every driver under the age of 18 who completes behind the wheel instruction and is testing for a provisional driver’s license must submit a driving log. Parents/guardians have two options regarding the supervised driving log:
Option 1 Complete a supplemental parent class provided by a driver education program approved in Minnesota, and then submit a supervised driving log showing their teen has completed at least 40 hours of supervised driving, 15 of which are nighttime hours;
Point of Impact Supplemental Parental Curriculum Night for Parents
Free presentation for all parents and their teen drivers.
Usually held the first night of class in the Cloquet High School Media Center.
Option 2 If the parent/guardian chooses to not complete the supplemental parent class, the driving log must show that their teen has completed at least 50 hours of supervised driving, 15 of which are nighttime hours.
2. Enroll for behind-the-wheel training (cost is $300) with Cloquet Comm Ed. or take your class completion paper to a private vendor and receive the blue card. The blue card is required to take the state permit test.
The following is taken from the MN Department of Public Safety website:
- Must be at least 15 years of age
- Must have completed the appropriate amount of classroom instruction and be enrolled in behind-the-wheel instruction
- Must pass vision and knowledge (written) tests, complete application and pay the required fee
- Parent or legal guardian's signature and certification required on application
You receive your BLUE CARD when you enroll in behind-the-wheel instruction - this is your "proof" of enrollment. We charge $300 for enrolling in our Behind-the-Wheel instruction.
3. Take and pass the state permit test.
Students registering for permit test must provide: one primary ID, one secondary ID, and the blue card.
Primary ID options: state issued ID, current passport, or state certified birth certificate.
Secondary ID options: Social Security card, student ID with picture and ID number or certified school transcript.
Driver Exam Station: 4602 Grand Ave, Duluth (Denfeld Plaza), 218-628-4925.
>>Written tests cannot be taken after 3:45 pm.<<
4. Complete behind-the-wheel training (six hours). Student must have permit before they can start behind-the-wheel instruction. You must call the BTW instructor to set up training times.
5. Complete the six-month practice period. Minnesota law now requires drivers to have a permit for six months before taking the road test. Drive 50 hours or more with your parent/guardian (15 of which must be at night). Complete your driving log. A completed Driving Log allows you to reduce the number of hours logged to 40.
6. Pass road test. To take road test, student must be 16 years old and have had their permit for six months. Drive on provisional license until qualifications for full license are met.
You will need the following to take road test: permit, white card (from Comm. Ed. office), driving log, parent/guardian, social security number and a vehicle to drive for the test (with proof of auto insurance).
This class provides students with a basic understanding of MN Traffic Safety Laws, and the complexities of driving. It also gives participants information necessary for acquiring a MN Learners Permit upon successful completion of the written test. Students who were not born in Carlton County should begin to acquire their Certified Birth Certificate which is essential for taking the permit exam.
Priority will be given to students who are 15 and older. Students who will reach their 15th birthday by 60 days after the first day of class will be put on a waiting list. If the class has space available we will then contact you. This will be determined by birth date. You must provide the date of birth with registration.
You must be registered before class starts. Click here for a map of the classroom location
Students must attend all 30 hours of training.
This class qualifies for the educational tax credit or a deduction (depending on income). You will need to sign up for a Behind The Wheel (BTW) course before the permit test. Call Community Ed at 879-1261 for further details on BTW course options.
Drivers Education Behind the Wheel
Bring in your classroom completion certificate and sign up for Behind the Wheel training. Six hours of behind the wheel lessons (3 two hour lessons) are required to take the road test for a class D driver's license.
You must register for B-T-W before you receive your blue card needed to take the permit test. Once you have your permit, you will need to schedule your three lessons with one of our Behind-the-Wheel instructors. Please let the Behind-the-Wheel instructor know if your student has specific medical or learning needs.
After your third and final lesson you will need to come into the Community Education office with your permit and pick up your white card before taking the road test. Call 218-879-1261 with questions.