Cloquet Public Schools
Type III School Bus Driver Training
Any staff member who transports students in a district-owned Type III vehicle (school van) must receive annual training and certification on the vehicles' safe operation.
Steps to Become Certified
- Review Training Materials
- Complete and pass the Type III Special Needs and Knowldege Quiz (under “Assessment” below)
- Schedule and complete a behind-the-wheel and pre-trip inspection evaluation (See contact under "Assessment" below)
- Submit paperwork to Mary Marciniak at Garfield School (please turn in ALL required documents in one packet; please do not turn in forms individually)
- Authorization to Check Driving Record
- MN DVS Records Request
- Top section only
- Be sure to include your correct date of birth and driver's license number
- A photocopy of your driver's license
- Type III Assessment Certification
- Criminal background check (if not already on file)
- Bus Driver Acknowledgement of Particular Laws and Rules
- Behind-the-wheel and pre-trip inspection evaluation (you will get this after the assessment)
- You will be notified via email by Mary Marciniak when your Type III certification has been approved. You are NOT certified until you receive notice from Central Administration. You may NOT transport students until you have received notice of your certification.
- Minnesota PowerPoint Presentation for Type III Training (MN State Patrol)
- MN School Bus Driver Manual (MNDOT)
- School Transportation Regulation (MN House of Representatives)
- Regulations Summary Table (page 4)
Type III Special Needs and Knowledge Quiz
Click here to take the knowledge quiz. Your results will be sent electronically to Cloquet Schools. You must score 20 points or greater to pass the test. If you did not pass, please review the Training Materials and retake the test.
Behind-the-Wheel and Pre-Trip Inspection Evaluation
To schedule an evaluation, email [email protected] with TYPE III entered on the subject line. Please leave your name and phone number and Renee will call to schedule your evaluation.
Please bring your driver's license and a district Type III vehicle to the evaluation with Cloquet Transit. You may check out a district Type III vehicle by contacting Kate Laine 218-879-6721 x6207 or Mary Marciniak by calling 218-879-6721 x6204.
Under Minnesota Statutes §171.02, Type III drivers are required to notify Cloquet Schools within ten (10) days if they receive any of the following types of infractions (unless otherwise stated). This requirement extends to violations incurred in any vehicle or location.
Types of Infractions
- DWI - Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Offenses occurring in a private (personal) vehicle
- Offenses occuring in a district-owned vehicle
- Violation of implied-consent statues (refusing an intoxication test while driving)
- Disqualifying offenses (Minn. Stat. §171.3215, subd. 1, paragraph (c))
- Moving violations
- Violations occurring in a private (personal) vehicle
- Violations occuring in a district-owned vehicle
- Revocation of driving privileges
- Required to notify district immediately of revocation
If you have questions about the Type III driver certification process, please contact Mary Marciniak at 218-879-6721 x6204 or via email at [email protected]