The Importance of Sleep
Is Your Child Getting Enough Sleep?
There are scientific findings that show adequate amounts of sleep promote, growth, helps the heart, affects weight, helps beat germs, reduces injury risk, increases attention span, and boost learning.
Children Ages/Hours of Sleep Needed
- 5 to 6 years11 hours
- 7 to 8 years10.5 hours
- 9 to 10 years10 hours
- 11 to 12 years9.5 hours
- 13 to 14 years9 hours
- 15 to 16 years8.5 hours
- Avoid drinking caffeinated drinks up to 8 hours before bed.
- Create a bed time and routine-even on weekends. Example- 7:30pm brush teeth, read a story, 8pm lights out.
- Children should fall asleep on their own in their own beds.
- Low lighting in bedroom. NO TV, electronics or cell phones 20 minutes before bed.
- Exercise during the day. No high level exercise right before bed.
- Limit to small amount of fluid before bed and light snack if needed.